Saturday, July 16, 2011

Huge small mouth catch

This was an exciting catch. I caught this small mouth in the Tuscarawas River outside of Canal Fulton, Ohio at Butter bridge rd. The river was moving rather swiftly due to a few good days of rain. This also made the water pretty murky. I would say the water clarity was about a 3 on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being crystal clear. On days like these I find it important to use black fishing lures, and the nosier the better. The black lure and the contrast of the water make it easier for the fish to see than a bright color lure when the water is murky. I usually use 8lb test line. I can still cast this line rather far and I feel secure it won’t break when landing these hogs. It was also pretty hot out, around 85 degrees and there was no wind.


When fishing the river I fish from the shore line. I cast both up the current, down, and across. Most times fish will face the current waiting for food to flow down the river. Fish like to hide behind rocks, logs, weeds, and whatever else can break the force of the current so they don’t have to use up so much energy fighting the current.
I casted downstream right behind a tree stump and reeled past the stump and that’s when this nice small mouth hit! It came right up out of the water made a sweet splash then dove straight to the bottom. It put up a nice fight, thrashing around and frantic to get away. After landing the fish I was pretty sure this was one old bass. tI first of all probably weighed 4 pounds and its scales were pretty faded. As you can see it had a nasty bloody lesion or cut on its tail, and it had a few scratches and scars on its body. This fish was a warrior that’s for sure. I was happy to release him and hoped he would survive many more days. I enjoy releasing large fish in the hopes of possibly catching them again. J

1 comment:

  1. In every field you need to a technical expert and having a veryw ell knowledge about your equipement. when you are strong enough about your equipements. then such kind of results comes Fishing in Dubai

    ReplyDelete