Saturday, July 16, 2011

Why fishing the Tuscarawas River ROCKS!

I must say I enjoy taking my bass boat out to the lake and fish for bass. However, I find this to be a lot of work to load up the boat, hook it up, drive twenty minutes to the lake, put it in the water, troll around, waste gas, hopefully catch a bass or two that are usually between 1-2 pounds, take the boat out of the water, drive twenty minutes home, and then unload the boat….. Man, what a lot of work! So taking a nice hike down the river side, enjoying the landscape and vegetation, and knowing there are some huge monster Northern Pike in there seems to me to be such a better deal.
I have spent the last few years fishing the Tuscarawas River from Canal Fulton to Dover Ohio (which is probably a hundred mile stretch) and have caught some awesome fish! The small mouth bass and the pike are defiantly in there and man do they fight. There are several other types of fish in the river that I don’t really fish for like, rock bass, catfish, and some gigantic carp. Sometimes I will take my kids to the river and they catch rock bass using night crawlers. I have just taken up fly fishing and am getting ready to go on an adventure to catch a huge carp on a fly rod. Don’t worry I will be sure to post on this in the future.









Fishing the river is defiantly different than fishing a lake from a boat. Just understanding the current and the clarity of the water is a major aspect of river fishing. The river changes so frequently. Large trees are always being moved down the river after storms coming through. This is good because it is always creating new environments and hiding places for the fish to find food. I see a lot of people sitting down at the river fishing with live bait. That’s cool if that’s your thing; however I enjoy throwing lures, spinners, and crank baits. If you want to catch the big ones learn to throw lures. You may spend an hour casting over and over, but let me tell you when these monsters hit your lure…. You’ll think it’s worth it.


8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never been to the tusc. I mainly fish the Cuyahoga. I look forward to trying it. I only fly fish on the rivers. If you ever want some instruction let me know (no charge)

    ReplyDelete
  3. where is the best spot around the massilon area?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The river and the towpath run parellel from massillon to bolivar offering easy access to fish. The area around Navarre offers a long quiet run from Nickles bakery to Putnam park and is good for pike. At the end of this run is a fast moving runout for feeders in fast water. Good luck>

    ReplyDelete
  5. The river and the towpath run parellel from massillon to bolivar offering easy access to fish. The area around Navarre offers a long quiet run from Nickles bakery to Putnam park and is good for pike. At the end of this run is a fast moving runout for feeders in fast water. Good luck>

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking for muskies had much luck on them? I'm looking at fishing Midvale/Barnhill area. Any advise?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent post. I was always checking this blog, and I’m impressed! Extremely useful info specially the last part, I care for such information a lot. I was exploring this particular info for a long time. Thanks to this blog my exploration has ended. https://archerytopic.com/best-elk-hunting-pack/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I fish that river really really hard. I've got to disagree about the live/dead bait vs lure comment. I promise live/dead bait gets you the true monsters in that river. Lures are much more fun and get big ones too, but the Canadian size Pike in that river like real meat.

    ReplyDelete