Friday, July 15, 2011

Learning to Fly Fish

I had an awesome opportunity to learn to fly fish several weeks ago. I met a guy that is an avid fly fisherman, and also a tremendous trainer in many aspects. I wasn’t really interested at first, but I love to fish and figured it might be worth checking out.
He goes by the nickname “Cheezy”, which is very fitting. J He had all of the fly fishing gear I needed and spent an entire morning teaching me how to work this different kind of rig. I don’t want to bore you with the details so let’s get to the good stuff.
                We were fishing in the Tuscarawas River for small mouth bass. It was around 9:30 am some morning in June. The water was nice and calm and about a 6 clarity. After a few hours of throwing some crazy casts I started to get the hang of controlling where the fly would land. I threw a wooly bugger fly upstream and let it slowly ride the current over top of a submerged log…. Then “Bam!” a good size small mouth bass hit the fly hard.

 Wow! Landing a good size small mouth bass on a fly rod is an awesome experience! It is very different from a regular spinning outfit. What a rush and what a great way to instantly get me hooked on fly fishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment